We’ve recently begun receiving our equipment which means we’re getting closer to having a fully functional recording studio! So far we have digital storage items (SD cards, USB drives, an external hard drive), a new computer, HD video cameras, tripods, an audio mixer, microphones, headphones, etc. We still need lighting and another backdrop.
I didn’t realize how much time would go into researching and purchasing all the equipment. But we’re still on track with the timeline I set up in the grant. I’d give yourself at least 2 months to get a studio set up. Also, look around to see if anything you need is already available. We were lucky that we had some of the equipment from our previous Digital Storystation grant.
Here are the basics for a LibraryYOU recording studio:
- A room with a closing door that is big enough to fit your equipment
- A computer with video and audio editing/recording software
- 2 tables and at least 3 chairs
- An HD video camera (or you can a webcam or camera built into the computer)
- A tripod for the video camera
- SD cards for the video camera
- Microphones (clip on or larger mics with a microphone tripod stand
- Headphones (for video and audio editing)
- Background with stand (unless you have a beautiful wall behind your video subjects)
- Lighting (2 lights with stands to illuminate from above and below)
- A mixer to control volume levels